Details from the photographer:
What originally was going to be a whimsical romantic styled shoot turned into a beautiful, romantic proposal! Matt Bootsma and Sara Tenhage volunteered to be the models for our styled shoot, but little did Sara know that Matt was planning to propose to her! They tailored the details of the styled shoot towards them and their relationship (without Sara knowing). The menu, the wedding invitation, the custom pillows, the cake, and the hanger were all carefully and beautifully created by our talented vendors and shop owners to add an extra special touch to the proposal. She said yes!
1. The Cake: Sara and Matt's favourite Bible verse is in 1 Corinthians 13, so Julie, from Refined Sugar Cakes, wrote parts of the verse around the bottom tier of the cake; "love is patient, love is kind, love never fails".
2. Menu: Instead of food listed on the menu, Matt made a list of their favourite things to give to our stationary designer, Heather of Red Bicycle Paper Co. On the menu were things they liked to do together, their favourite foods, their favourite shows, etc, and it was called "Our Love Recipe". At the bottom of the menu was significant dates listed: where and when they first met, their first date, their first kiss, and when she said yes to his proposal.
3. The Invitation: Instead of a wedding invitation, our stationary designer made an engagement announcement instead for Sara and Matt to keep to remember this special day. It was funny trying to hide this (and all the other elements) from Sara because we'd ask her to hold it and pose with it but had to distract her enough so she wouldn't turn it around and read it. The invitation said "First Comes Loves", then below had both their names and "our forever love story begins today, on this day of our engagement" with the date and location underneath it.
4. Pillows: We had custom pillows made by Laura at Go Fluff Yourself with Matt's choice of words on them. We had the pillows set in our cozy pillow corner with candles all around them. The pillows said "P.S. I Love You" and "Love Never Fails".
5. Hanger: Tayne and Ashely had made a custom, beautifully etched Bride hanger. On the back of it was a message from Matt to Sara, which said, "I told you I'd surprise you". It was funny to watch Sara's expression when we asked her to hold the hanger with the front ("Bride" engraving) towards her.
Other beautiful details:
6. Wooden signs and cake topper: Amy from Spring Meadow Co created a sign that said "Every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favourite"; chair signs that said "better together"; and a cake topper that said "the adventure begins". Sara knew she was modelling to be a bride, but because it was a secret engagement we had to have all these details represent their love without giving away too much.
7. Proposal sign: When Matt proposed to Sara, he held up a watercolour, calligraphy sign made by Victoria from Victoria Monique Designs, which said "Sara I love you. Will you be my last girlfriend ever? Matt".